• Home-Sweep Blogger

How to protect against Carbon Monoxide

What is Carbon Monoxide and why is it dangerous?

Carbon Monoxide is produced when fuel such as gas, oil, coal and wood do not burn properly.  The most common cause of this is when an appliance is installed incorrectly or poorly maintained. Carbon monoxide can also build up when flues, chimneys or vents are blocked.


The Department of Health estimate that 40 deaths and 200 hospitalisations in the UK are caused by carbon monoxide poisoning, and at least 4,000 are treated in hospital in the UK each year; there is every likelihood however, that this figure is greater due to many cases of carbon monoxide poisoning being undiagnosed. Read the NHS report here.


Many people fail to have their chimney swept at regular intervals, either due to the fact that they are unaware of the maintenance requirements, the potential consequences, or for financial reasons. The use of an unregistered chimney sweep can be dangerous.  It is only through trade organisations such as the Guild of Master Chimney Sweeps that a customer can have confidence that the chimney sweep that they employ has undergone recognised training and certification.  Upon completing the sweep, an approved sweep can issue a sweeping certificate recognised by insurance companies.




Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning:

  • Severe headaches

  • Chest and stomach pains

  • Drowsiness

  • Nausea

  • Dizziness

  • General lethargy


How to make your home safe

  • Have your chimney swept by an approved sweep on a regular basis according to the fuel type and frequency of use.

  • Do not use appliances that are not functioning correctly or that you may be suspicious of until a competent person had first assessed it for safety.

  • Install a carbon monoxide alarm in close proximity to the appliance and test it regularly.



Home-Sweep is a member of the Guild of Master Chimney Sweeps and is HETAS approved. Call 07711441459 today, to discuss how Home-Sweep can make your home safer.



Read the full NHS Carbon Monoxide Poisoning 2013 Report.

05-12-17-5813.undefined

Website designed and cared for by

Pure Relish Marketing

All rights reserved

07711-441459

FB2.png

@HomeSweepServices

07711-441459