QUESTIONS & ADVICE
Carbon Monoxide (CO) is an extremely poisonous gas that can be present in the fumes from the combustion of fuel’s which aren’t burnt under the correct conditions. Fuels such as gas, oil, solid mineral fuel and biomass all have the potential to emit CO. The gas cannot be seen, smelled or tasted making it difficult to detect.
Protect yourself from CO
Ensure your chimney is kept clear by having it swept at frequent intervals by an approved and registered Chimney Sweep
Make sure the installation complies with Building Regulations guidance. The guidance is there to protect you.
Fit an audible CO alarm conforming to BS EN 50291 and positioned in accordance with Building Regulations.
Ensure your gas appliances are installed and serviced by a Gas Safe Registered engineer.
Carbon monoxide alarms should be regularly tested and should not be regarded as a substitute for regular maintenance of the appliance and chimney.
The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning
The early symptoms of CO poisoning are usually similar to common ailments such as upset stomach, tiredness and flu. Common symptoms include;
Nausea and/or vomiting
Dizziness or Collapse
Chest and/or stomach pains
Erratic behaviour and/or Visual problems
Actions to take in a CO emergency
If you suspect fumes are escaping from your combustion appliance into your home, or your carbon monoxide alarm goes off, leave the building immediately and don’t return until your appliance or boiler has extinguished and the air in the room is clear. Open doors and windows to ventilate the building. Turn the appliance off.
If you feel unwell go to your Doctor, or call one of the following:
Call NHS Direct on 111 (in England)
NHS Direct on 0845 46 47 (in Wales)
NHS 24 on 111 (in Scotland)